Jonathan Myrick Daniels Pilgrimage
August 9 @ 10:00 am - August 10 @ 7:00 pm$75.00
Please join our pilgrimage from Chattanooga, TN to Hayneville, AL on Friday & Saturday, August 9-10, 2019
The purpose of our pilgrimage is to facilitate conversations about race in our diocese. We will do this by going to places with a similar past and hearing the stories of that community. Hopefully, it will allow us to be vulnerable about our context and our stories. The ultimate goal is the usher in a period of truth telling, which may lead to reconciliation.
Jonathan Myrick Daniels was an Episcopal Seminarian that jumped in front of shotgun blast intended for 17-year old Ruby Sales. He was later designated as a martyr in the Episcopal Church with a Feast Day of August 14th.
Look for a reflection on last year’s pilgrimage by Mr. Bill Steverson soon.
Fri Aug 9
* 10 AM ET – Depart Chattanooga on St Timothy’s bus
* Stop in Birmingham at Kelly Ingram Park
* Arrive in Montgomery for a tour of The National Memorial for Peace and Justice followed by The Legacy Museum
* Arrive in Selma to see the Edmund Pettus Bridge and enjoy a relaxing dinner and rest in the Woolworth Lofts
Sat Aug 10
* Arrive in Hayneville for the Jonathan Myrick Daniels Pilgrimage and Holy Eucharist at the Hayneville Court House
* Depart for Chattanooga at 1 PM CT
Reserve one of the limited seats on the bus and one of the limited number of beds at the lofts through this Registration Link